Benefits of hotel membership
QHA members are entitled to access the comprehensive services of the Association free of charge, or for very reasonable fee-for-service charges. The range of members' services available from the QHA head office and regional staff have evolved over the years in response to demands and suggestions made by members, and in response to the requirements of compliance and business regulation which are such a feature of the liquor industry. The services provided by the Association are specifically tailored to the needs of businesses which are, in the main, small to medium enterprises run under single or simple management structures, and which have a diverse range of employees, business relationships, and geographical locations.
A comprehensive list of services, and details of how to access members' services, is included in the relevant sections of the Members Only part of this site. However, the following general services are available to members of the Association:
- Business development advice and assistance: Advice on interpreting and implementing relevant legislation, particularly the Liquor and Gaming Acts, and assistance with a wide range of operational and business development issues. Detailed, expert and strategic advice in relation to gaming and gambling business.
- Liquor regulation and compliance assistance: Advice, advocacy and assistance in relation to liquor compliance and enforcement operations, and the development and implantation of business policies and practices related to liquor sales and issues.
- Employment relations and industrial relations advice, assistance and advocacy: A broad spectrum of employment relations and industrial relations services including advice on interpreting awards and legislation, development and interpretation of industrial agreements, representation, advocacy and negotiation. Development of workplace agreements, collective agreements and management contracts. Provision of industry-specific training, manuals and policy assistance, including provision of publications relevant to human resource and labour management.
- Workplace health and safety (WH&S) advice, assistance and training: Specialist WH&S services for hoteliers including compliance auditing, WH&S advice to members, advice or and interpretation of relevant legislation, assistance with the development of complying policies and procedures, and specialist WH&S training and staff workshops.
- Industry trade, business development and compliance training, both accredited and non-accredited: Provision of a wide range of industry, compliance and mandatory industry training courses both in-house and at central training locations. This includes a range of training programs designed for both line staff and management staff, national accredited Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) and Responsible Service of Gaming (RSG) courses, mandatory licensee courses such as Gaming Nominee and Responsible Management of Licensed Venue (RMLV) courses, and other tailored, cost-effective training programs designed to assist and improve the performance of hotel businesses.
- Access to the QHA Awards for Excellence program, which provides a forum for the reward and recognition of hotel industry members. Categories range from dining and bar awards, to responsible service, innovation in redevelopment, accommodation facilities and employee awards. The QHA Awards for Excellence program is a highly respected program with independent judging, culminating in an awards presentation dinner, the highlight of the hotel industry calendar.
- Access to the Members' Only section of the QHA website: The Members' Only section of the QHA website provides a comprehensive policy resource for Queensland hoteliers enabling them to see at a glance the latest issues relevant to hotel businesses, and including a wide range of framework, model and draft policies and procedures which are able to be readily adapted for use in venues. This resource assists hoteliers by providing access to a one-stop-shop, on-line, which reflects accurate, up-to-date, and industry-sourced information and advice.
- A wide range of members' discounts, savings schemes, insurance arrangements and other supplier packages which are negotiated by the Association for access by members, and which vary from time to time.
The following specific benefits are available to QHA members:
- Free access to a one-stop-shop providing on-the-phone and more formal subsequent advice in: hotel business development, liquor licensing practices, legislation and compliance, and machine gaming practices, legislation and compliance.
- Free expert and specific-to-industry industrial relations (IR) and employment relations (ER) advice and assistance, including free telephone advice 365 days a year, including all aspects of Fair Work legislation. Includes all aspects of industrial relations including: award payment rates and applications, disciplinary and corrective procedures, agreement making, and employer advocacy and representation. Higher level ER services are available at a discounted price, including: development and on-site negotiation of collective agreements, development and lodgement of AWAs, specialist IR training, advocacy in the IR and Anti-discrimination Commissions, and representations in disputes involving unions and government departments.
- Free Workplace Health and Safety (WH&S) advice including WH&S compliance, industry audit programs, water management, food safety and manual handling. Specialist advice, auditing, training, and the provision of detailed workplace health and safety policies and procedures at discounted and very competitive prices.
- Top quality industry training delivered by hotel professionals at competitive prices including: Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA), Responsible Service of Gaming, Gaming Nominee, Developing Hotel Management Skills, Manual Handling, and specialist training in Termination of Employment, Discrimination and Harassment, and Award Awareness.
- Free editions of our industry magazine QHA Review (monthly) and our industry newsletter QHA Update, providing the latest on industry news and industry issues.
- Free access to industry news, updates, information and services, via the Members Only area of the QHA website: www.qha.org.au.
- Free participation in various member forums including QHA regional meetings, and social and sporting events.
- Eligibility to participate in the QHA Awards for Excellence scheme, to showcase your licensed venue and assist with promotion and marketing.
- Free entry to the annual hotel and hospitality industry trade show.
- Access to Intrust Super Fund, the largest and highly successful superannuation fund for the hospitality industry in Queensland – Intrust makes super simple for hoteliers.
- A range of service and product discounts specific to QHA members, including but not limited to: Health Cover discounts and special offers through BUPA, a free employment portal making finding hospitality staff quick and easy, EFTPOS facility discounts through our banking partners, motor vehicle rental discounts when hiring motor vehicles anywhere in Australia, discounted first aid supplies and training through St John Ambulance Australia, with more discounts being progressively added.
- Access to a comprehensive range of industry relevant stationery including (customised) Human Resource Manuals, crowd controllers register, restaurant table bookings, and a range of ready-to-use forms and books for the hotel industry.
- Hotel insurance products, together with land tax, council rates and insurance premium funding available through the QHA Insurance Scheme, sourced through QHA Partner AON Risk Services.